I am an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Johns
Hopkins University. My research spans broadly in computer systems including OS
and distributed systems. I am particularly interested in the research of building
reliable, efficient, and defensible systems in emerging
computing platforms such as cloud-scale data centers, mobile and IoT devices, which
give rise to many excitingly new challenges and trade-offs. I explore solution
space in language and interface design, runtime support, program analysis,
software engineering, and machine learning to tackle these challenges.
I received my PhD from UCSD working with
Prof. Yuanyuan Zhou, and my BS in computer
science and BA in economics from Peking University. Before joining Hopkins in
July 2017, I am doing a post-doc at MSR Redmond Systems Group.
I’m looking for motivated students to work with. If you are interested in
hacking systems and advancing state of the art, drop me an email along with you CV!
- 06/15/2017 The morning paper’s coverage about our HotOS paper
- 03/29/2017 Our position paper on the gray failure problem is accepted by HotOS XVI
- 11/02/2016 PCheck won the OSDI ‘16 Jay Lepreau Best Paper Award!
- 09/23/2016 Successfully defend my thesis titled Toward Understanding and Dealing with Failures in Cloud-Scale Systems
- 07/30/2016 Our paper on detecting latent misconfiguration is accepted by OSDI ‘16
- 03/10/2016 Our paper on mobile app network disruptions is accepted by EuroSys ‘16
- 02/23/2016 Our paper on defensive mobile operating system is accepted by MobiSys ‘16
My recent research projects are:
- DefDroid: a defensive mobile OS to tame disruptive apps
- ConfValley: a declarative configuration validation framework
- A comprehensive study on cloud service failure, fault, and fault-tolerance
- eDoctor: a diagnosis tool for smartphone abnormal battery drain
- PerfScope: a white-box performance risk analysis methodology
(Full publication list)
- Program Committee:
- SIGCOMM HotConNet: 2017
- USENIX ATC: 2017
- MobiSys PhD forum: 2016
- Shadow PC: EuroSys 2017
- Journal Reviewer: TPDS 2016
- Assistant for PC chair: ASPLOS 2016
Note: Ryan is my English name. For legal documents and publications, Peng Huang is used.